Born in Dublin in 1953, Pat Harris studied at NCAD and Higher Institute of Fine Art, Antwerp. His work is represented in a number of public collections, including: The Arts Council of Ireland, The Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin; The Hugh Lane Municipal Gallery of Modern Art, Dublin; The National Self-Portrait and Contemporary Art Collection, Limerick; University College Dublin and The University of Antwerp, Belgium.
Landscapes made in the polders of Tielrode, where he lives, or in the boglands of Mayo in the west of Ireland, all exude a certain quiet beauty. A stillness and Rothko like glow that is achieved by slowly building up thin often transparent layers of oil paint. Harris considers himself a translator; he translates the world around him into marks. And it is the marks he makes by both applying and removing the paint or, in his drawings, the charcoal, that remain to tell the story. A story of transience but also continuance, of fragile objects and places that obliquely persist, captured in the fragile surface of his marks.
Teach Mór, oil on linen, 80 x 100 cm
For J.M.W, oil on linen, 80 x 100 cm